Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My brief stint as a posh hotel goer, fashion show watcher, and a general discussion of very non-erica like things

So, for those of you who don't know... (not that anyone still reads this, because you've all gone back to school) but, I won a competition a while back, a raffle prize, if you will. It was to do with the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week. As part of said prize, I got tickets to fashion shows and a night in the Westin Melbourne (probably one of the nicest hotels i've ever stayed in, top 3 definitely).
More on the hotel stay later, but first- I went to a fashion show last tuesday. Yes, me... oh and i took ryan with me. I don't think the fashion world is ready for the two of us. Between us we probably have negative fashion sense... But i couldn't let all of the tickets go to waste (and they gave out free goodie bags!). The event was held in the Melbourne Town Hall. And they were serving champagne and giving away free Dove chocolate in the sort of waiting room before the show started. So we filled our pockets with very very yummy chocolate. The show itself was odd. Lots of pale, skinny girls with odd colored lipstick and wearing clothing that no one in their right mind would ever wear out in public. But I guess that's fashion for you.
Afterwards we wandered to a bar called Section 8... it's basically a rented out parking lot. A trailer packed with alcohol serves as a bar, and you sit on old crates surrounded by oil drums and graffitied walls. It's pretty spiffy. And we were enjoying our beers/ciders, when a random afghani male comes over. Yeah, an afghani male. Oh, and did i mention he's drunk? And he decides that we are two lovely young women (well after he asks ryan whether she's a boy or a girl... and then proceeds to call her "brian" for the rest of the night. And then he decides to get far too close to us, and stand in front of me and lean over, pressing his hands against my knees. And then as we run away, trying to put as much distance between ourselves and this odd drunken man, (he asks if he can come home with us) he gives me a hug and asks if he can kiss me.... um, that would be a no... really NO! So i gracefully (or not so gracefully) detanlge myself from him, and we bolt.... AWKWARD!
And then this weekend- well, Friday night, Daniel Zietlow (who was visiting from Sydney where he is studying abroad) and I got to stay in the Westin Melbourne, where people open doors for you, the elevator requires a key to go up to certain levels, there are free apples everywhere, the beds and bathrooms are "heavenly" and um a room usually costs 675 dollars a night... ouch. Oh and the breakfast... wow, practically orgasmic... hehe, but not really. All you can eat- eggs, cereal, fruit (oh fresh fruit for free... wow) bread, jams, pancakes, basically everything- and as much of it as we wanted. We had to stumble back up to the room and sleep it off for like an hour. Haha, needless to say it was quite a great experience.
Spent the rest of the day walking around Melbourne... and working... yay for working.
Sunday i got to sit stroke seat in the 8 at practice. This is very exciting (if you don't know what that means... it's basically sitting in the front of the crew boat and setting the pace for everyone else, so for a control freak like me, it's great).
The week has started well so far. I'm soon going ot be in charge of making the sandwiches at the food court restaurant where i work, which make things more fun and interesting. The coaching continues to be the highlight of my week. I only have one more week at ALbert Park Primary with my soccer boys (who are my favorites) so that's a little sad. But i might be back next term, so finger crossed. And the night job continues to be fun, a tad bit challenging, and a decent money earner (30 bucks in tips for Friday and Saturday).
So yeah, life is good. My bike still gets me to and from work, my legs still have a constant build up of lactic acid, i'm planning excursions in the city for the next few weekends, I'm getting my butt in gear to apply to some grad schools for next year, I'm saving money so maybe one day i'll be able to come home, and well i miss everybody, but am content being here.
But, I must depart and write some letters, and get some sleep. So to all (or any remaining blog readers) good night and good luck.

No comments: